Home > Insights > Home Insights > All Homeowners > Articles

Spring Showers Bring Summer… Mold?

Reading Time:

Spring showers are finally over and just when you’re ready to relax and enjoy summer, you notice a few spots on your ceiling. You pull out your ladder to take a closer look, and you realize you have mold. Mold can be scary and extremely expensive to remediate if you don’t catch and treat it early. Mold often grows in obscure places, like your basement, in your bathroom and inside of your walls so it can be difficult to see.

How to Prevent It

  1. Check for leaks in your roof, gutters and basement (if your house has one)
  2. Build your home with mold-resistant material
  3. Keep your home’s humidity between the EPA recommended percentages of 30-50 percent
  4. Dry wet areas immediately
  5. Identify problem areas within your home

What to Do If Water Enters Your Home

If water enters your home, you should immediately remove any of the wet items that can be removed and take steps to dry wet items that cannot be removed as easily.  Household items that do not absorb water should be wiped down until they are completely dry. If you have recently experienced a flood and your floor is wet, you should remove all damaged flooring that cannot be completely dried. Spilled some water on your carpet? Even this needs to be blotted and dried within 24 to 48 hours. Your walls need attention too if they get wet, as the slightest amount of water can cause mold to grow, particularly in hot, humid climates. If you notice water damage on your walls, floorboards or ceiling, first dry it, then identify the cause and resolve that issue. Next, contact a professional to have your home inspected and determine any next steps.

What to Do If You Catch Mold After It’s Already Grown

If you see mold, don’t panic! Have your home checked for mold by a licensed inspector or purchase an at-home kit which you can use to look for mold. After the mold has been identified, hire a professional to identify the cause and have it removed. Although this may be costly, it is vital to the health of you and everyone in your household. For someone who is sensitive to mold, it can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.

If you live in an area where mold is a possibility, or an area that has had recent flooding, be diligent about watching for it so a small problem doesn’t turn into a big deal.

You Might Also Like: